Makeover

Lately I had been feeling a little irritated carrying my mobile phone around with me. Actually there was no issue with the mobile; the irritant was its cover. Almost two years back, my son had talked me into buying Samsung Note 2, which at that point-in-time, was one of the finest had gadgets available in the Android range (I still thank him for that!). Having paid a handsome amount to own this piece, I did not even blink an eye to buy a beautiful yet expensive flip cover for it. Normally I am quite a careful guy when it comes to maintaining the things I own, hence both the mobile and its cover were doing quite well till the recent past. However as luck could have it, due to very frequent travelling, the mobile cover got debilitated quickly.

inquired from a couple of shops for a new ‘original’ flip cover, expecting that it would be available at a very reasonable price, since I’ was asking for a cover of a mobile which was launched almost two years back. To my surprise, first of all the cover with colour of my choice was not readily available, and at the same time, its price was exorbitant. Was it really exorbitant or I was finding it exorbitant? Well the truth is, I was comparing the value of a new flip cover with a devalued price of an old mobile phone and was finding the price to be too expensive to pay.

What to do? I had two choices, one to simply go for a new flip cover, without thinking much or look for a more economical alternative. This would mean I had to forego a flip cover and go for an ordinary one, which doesn't cover the screen, more importantly, the one which doesn't give my mobile a corporate look. Somehow I convinced myself to try the 2nd option and quickly remembered that in the past, I had bought such a cover for trial purpose, but I had not used it. So I thought this time let me give it a try. My good habit helped me to quickly find this cover lying neatly packed in the mobile phone box.

I utilized this opportunity of my mobile makeover to clean it thoroughly, especially near the battery area. Then I nicely tucked the new cover. I think it had been a long long time that I had given one good look at my mobile. It simply looked stunning! I took time to admire it and wished myself good luck since now I would be roaming around with it, while there was nothing to protect its screen. My son didn't take a minute to remind me why I would worry; after all it’s a Gorilla Glass. Very soon I got used to the ‘younger’ looks of my mobile. It looked sleeker, weighed lighter and as if it had worn a jeans and a T-shirt after adorning a two-piece suit for a couple of years!

I was amused when a couple of my colleagues who met me after a gap asked me if I had gone for a new mobile. And then it occurred to me what a makeover can do to an old thing, if done correctly. It can almost bring a new life into a thing. It takes effort to accept a change but many times, it’s worth it.

I think same is the case with us, our minds and our bodies. We continue to do a thing for many years without questioning it, continue to lead a life accepting the way things are, without attempting to change them. Many of us do not even question our physical appearance; we accept obesity, without attempting to put efforts in a regular exercise routine. We do not challenge our mind to be creative; we seldom test it to its limits. We also accept what is happening around us, in our society, in our ecosystem, without thinking whether any part of it needs our support for a makeover!

Comments

  1. Yes, Vinay! The society needs a makeover but a billion with wrong attitudes and nil nationalism its a herculean task. Are we ready to take risks and start the change. At least few of us can be the change themselves. Wish it could have been as simple as buying a new phone cover.
    Nicely written!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My realizations from brooming my house!

The Mask

The power of a strong desire