Television Memoirs

Recently a casual chat with a close friend led me to walk through the golden days; those days which were spent more care free than now and because of this, their memory is etched in my mind forever.

Those of you who are around my age would easily relate to the times when out of many houses in the lane, only a handful of one had a TV. Luckily our house was one of those. The ‘Chitrahaar’ on Wednesday evenings and the ‘movie’ on Sunday evenings on ‘Doordarshan’ used to be a grand affair. I still recollect the max. count of 19 neighbours on a Wednesday and 23 on a Sunday, in the drawing room of our modest two-room flat in Delhi. For us, organizing such a gathering used to be a privilege as well as a treat!

While we (I & my younger brother) enjoyed this privilege, we suddenly found ourselves a little wanting when one of our ‘foreign-returned’ neighbours brought with them a ‘coloured TV’. For our friends, the sleek SONY was fast becoming a popular attraction than our voluminous 24” cathode ray tube ‘Black-and-white’ JK TV with a bluish tinge. Eventually there was no mass exodus of the friends to the neighbours and this made us pleasantly realize that it was actually the warmth of our welcome which repeatedly attracted our friends to our place than the enjoyment of watching the TV alone.

The Asian Games brought with them the launch of ‘coloured TV’ in India. During vacation, on one afternoon, when two of us walked to one of our neighbours to watch a cartoon, we were a little scolded for laughing too loudly! What could be more emotional for two growing brothers than being pulled-up by an Auntie and that too over a small affair like this? That evening, even before our father could settle down after reaching home, we had convinced him as to how important it was for us now to have a ‘coloured TV’ of our own. We were confident as we knew that we had the backing of our loving mother. Next day the ride from Binatone factory to our home with a ‘coloured TV’ in the boot of our hired Ambassador car has been till date my best ever ride in a car!

While times changed and as we all progressed, the ‘Chitrahaar’ became more of an individual family affair, as most of the houses started owning a TV. Fortunately the touch with the neighbours was still intact. The Telephone had replaced the TV to maintain the contact. Once again, our house was one of the firsts to have a telephone connection. For me, there was nothing more irritating on a hot summer afternoon than the phone call meant for someone else. For my brother, an opportunity to run a few houses away to call a neighbour to attend his / her phone call used to be the best excuse for him to take frequent breaks from his studies. For both of us, for many years, it remained a great medium to maintain a healthy connect with our fellow neighbours!

PS: Thanks to my friends who are prompting me to write the next blog and also those who are sharing ideas to help me choose the topic…

Comments

  1. Hello Vinay,

    Another well written article! I do recall my childhood days when I used to visit our neighbor's house to watch TV (in the early 80's) through their window, as my neighbors were not so hospitable like you guys...now I have no time to watch TV....time changes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last I would like to use the phrase "Good old days", which I refrain from using. These memories of yester years remind me of the times when neighborhood was cherished with each other. Chitrahaar was favourite of complete household and we used to count the songs in each telecast. If the count was less than expected we used to curse DD and by chance they were more than expected, it made the week.

    A few years later there were those VCR hiring friends nights with friends and neighbors for birthdays and special occasions. .

    Another great aspect of yester years was that all the neighborhood assets were shareable. Those were the means to remain in touch with each other. Today we have advanced communication but no reason to remain in touch.

    Enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My realizations from brooming my house!

The Mask

The power of a strong desire